Friday, February 5, 2010

Leaves

So what do you get when mix 4 Huge Pecan trees and winter weather?

Leaves....glorious leaves...bags filled by the dozens!! (Oliver song)
So take your guess...just how many bags?!!


Try counting them..I'll tell you a story while you think! So we have 4 giant pecan trees. I'm sure they are as old as the house. This year we had great rain, so these pecan trees were loaded with pecans. (Tons bigger than Jon's thumbs). We had great shade in the summer, and nice little squirrel friends all Fall!! We have been putting off the raking because we knew it would be a ton! Well, we found out another big snow storm was coming and the leaves had just dried out from the previous one. The weather the day we started to rake was the highest it had been in days, so we tackled the task. Hint: I went to the store and got a box of 36 bags thinking we would have tons left over. We worked for 3 hours!! I tried to convince Jon we should make a compost pile (I'm laughing)....but he didn't think we had the space. So we bagged them all. And drum role please.......


32 Bags of leaves and pecan shells thanks to us and the squirrels!!
I love trees!! And I don't mind having them for the benefits they bring, but 32 bags is a bit over the top! A bit of wisdom for those tree lovers out there. If you are going to plant trees, don't plant 4 trees in the same yard. Plant 2 and think of all the work you've saved yourself!

1 comment:

Mel said...

holy moly! that is seriously a LOT of bags of leaves! way to work hard!