Sunday, March 2, 2008

Jon's news March 08

Our weather here is a bit off-and-on nice. The last three days we had weather in the high 60’s and tonight it’s supposed to snow. And, all that stuff I said about Oklahoma not being very windy last fall was a pit premature; I’m beginning to see. But overall, I think we still like it here.

We are making some really good friends. And the city is nice. There’s always a lot to do. Last night we went to a free hockey game downtown. It was some promotional thing from the power company. Anyway believe me, if there’s anything more entertaining than a bunch of rednecks on skates, it the fans that come to see them. What a group that was! I wonder what that says about us? But we are trying to stay true to our roots. So far none of the children has been given a mullet.

At school I am learning how to use a drill as well as all of the little scraper tools the hygienist uses when you go to get your teeth cleaned. They have us putting in fillings, making wax models for dentures and the like, and taking x-rays. I also have some more science classes and a few others, the relevance of which, I am still not completely sure. One of the latter is taught by an associate dean (and his enormous ego). He is an Oklahoma native, I believe, but he speaks with a fake accent we believe he made up to sound even more pompous. It’s hard to describe but he pronounces all of his o’s as EW as in emEWtion and the Pacific EWcean. Although he treats us like 5 year-olds, he never disappoints and is always sure to give a few ridiculous quotes that we get to make fun of at lunch.

1 comment:

Marc Gilchrist said...

Glad to see you're using some hygienist's tools. :) Most dentists would say school's the only time they ever touch a scaler :) Brooke Gilchrist